Monday, October 5, 2009

And Then There Was Today...

Well, it all started when I woke up and drove into work. I found out I had accidentally signed myself up for a one month (every day, and you know how hard that is for me) committment to writing. Every day. November is National Novel Writing Month. I just signed into Nanowrimo because I thought that was the only way I could see all the rules involved in signing on to this program. Wrong. I got an e-mail that said, "Congratualations! You have just committed to one month of writing every day." (or something like that) This program helps you set a goal to write 50,000 words of a novel to help you complete a novel, but more importantly help you complete a goal. So I ran out to my car to get a head start and write in privacy. I wrote five pages (granted they were 6" x9", but whose measuring?) I was so excited I ran back in to tell a friend, slamming the door behind me. Halfway to the door I realized my fate. I had just locked my keys in the car.

Hmmm...how to get out of that one...

Angela came to my rescue. She said she locked her keys in her car often enough to know how to jimmy the lock. We made a plan to ask Michael, the dry cleaner, when he came by in the afternoon if we could get a hanger from him. He laughed and handed over a hanger (after removing the white paper glued to it) and wished me luck.

Angela and I began to work the hanger into the car by wedging open the door frame a tad with the wooden door-stop from the ladies room. A cute guy came over to investigate and asked if we needed help. I said, "Yes, please!" He said, "Well, I can't really help. I don't know how to get them out, only how to lock them in." Great. He watched us struggle for a minute then left at the sound of his ring tone. I glanced over a couple minutes later and saw him talking to a cute girl who wasn't chained to her car. Lovely.

Then another strong handsome man drove up in his white truck (can that be compared with a white horse?) He said, "I have a SlimJim in my truck, if you want help." Yes please! So he left his truck running and jumped out to our rescue. He and Angela worked together. An older man came out out of the building to hop in his truck and head home. Only he couldn't. Knight in shining armor #2's truck was blocking the way. (Knight #2 was married. His wife called him and asked where was he.) The older man stayed to chat and check the progression of the descent of the hanger to the lock from the other side of my car. His wife called him looking for him. Great I was keeping everyone from dinner. I felt I need to take them all out. But would we ever get the car door open?

Two of my co-workers came out to see what the trouble was. One managed to get his car unblocked and was free to drive home. The other just hung out to lend moral support. I tried a lame attempt at helping wedge a pen in the door to help hold it open- it broke. That's two days in a row.

They finally got the hook of the hanger looped through the door handle inside my car and pulled hard. The door burst open. A Hallelujah chorus rang out. Everyone split and went to go home and eat dinner. Their good deeds having been done.

Angela said, "See I told you we'd get it open for you." I was so grateful to all of them.

I'm home! And I have found my spare key to call Kat to come rescue me in the future. Hopefully it never happens again though.

Thank you to all who gave up a half hour of their time, after a long day at work to help me get in my car.

Victoria

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyable read, but where's the spare key? YOu didn't give it to me.

    ReplyDelete